1 bottle red wine* (full-bodied)
2¼ lb / 1 kg stewing beef (chuck, shank, neck etc)
7 oz / 200 g smoked bacon
4 juniper berries (optional)
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1 sprig thyme
3¼ fl oz / 100 ml / ½ cup oil
2 tbs / ⅛ cup flour
Fine salt and freshly ground pepper
Optional: 7 oz / 200 g button mushrooms
THE DAY BEFORE:
• Trim the fat from the meat and cut into pieces measuring around
3 cm/1 in.
• Chop the onions and carrots. Cut the bacon into small pieces.
• Place everything in a large bowl, pour red wine over the vegetables
(optional: add juniper berries), and leave to marinate for around 12 hours
in a cool place.
• Drain and dry the meat.
• Heat the oil in a stewpot and brown the pieces of meat.
• Add salt and pepper.
• Add the solid ingredients from the marinade to the stewpot and reduce
to a medium heat.
• Crush the garlic, add the bay leaf, thyme and sprinkle over the flour.
• Pour over the marinade liquid and bring to a simmer.
• Cover and cook in a preheated oven for approximately 2 hours at 200°C
(400°F, gas 6).
• Serve hot with fresh tagliatelle.
OPTIONAL: When the meat comes out of the oven, you can add lightly
pan-fried mushrooms cut into quarters.