Ingredients (for 2 loaves)
- 1 cup ripe (fed) sourdough starter
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 to 2 teaspoons instant yeast*
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- Combine all of the ingredients, kneading to form a smooth dough.
- Allow the dough to rise, in a lightly greased, covered bowl, until it's doubled in size, about 90 minutes.
- Gently divide the dough in half; it'll deflate somewhat.
- Gently shape the dough into two round loaves. Lightly flour the base of your Bread Cloche. Place one loaf on the base, cover with the lid, and let rise until very puffy, about 1 hour. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Spray the loaf with lukewarm water.
- Make two fairly deep diagonal slashes on top of the dough with a serrated bread knife.
- Bake the bread for 25 to 30 minutes, until it's a very deep golden brown. Remove it from the oven, and cool on a rack.