PREPARATION: 25 MINUTES COOKING: 3 1/2 HOURS
1 ½ tbsp olive oil
3 lb/ 1 ½ kg beef chuck roast
Freshly ground pepper and salt
2 yellow onions peeled and cut into thick slices
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 cups / 70 cl beef broth
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ tbsp chopped fresh thyme
1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
2.5 lb / 1 ¼ kg small Yukon gold potatoes
1 lb / 500 g, about 4 to 5 large carrots cut into 1 inch/ 2 ½ cm pieces
2 tbsp chopped parsley
• Preheat the oven to 275°F/ 175 °C.
• In your ‘Sublime’ cookware, heat 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion for a couple of minutes. Add the chopped garlic and sauté a little longer. Remove from the pot and reserve.
• Throw the carrots into the same hot pot and toss about a minute to slightly brown them. Reserve with the onions.
• Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat. Pat dry the roast with kitchen paper towel and season all over with salt and pepper.
• Sear the roast for 4 to 5 minutes on each side until browned. Transfer the roast to a dish and reserve.
• Pour the beef broth and Worcestershire into the hot pot. Add the thyme and rosemary, then cook for about 30 seconds, long enough to deglaze the bottom of the pot, scraping up the browned residues.
• Lower the heat. Return the roast to the pot and add enough beef stock to cover the meat halfway. Pour over the onion mixture. Add the carrots and potatoes over the onions, and season with salt and pepper.
• Cover and roast in the oven for 3 hours (4h for a 4 to 5 lb / 2-2.5 kg roast). It is ready when the roasted meat, very tender, falls apart.
• Remove the pot from the oven, sprinkle with fresh parsley, season and serve directly. Or plate the roast with the vegetables and serve with gravy.